Tourist Attractions In Nevada County
In Northern California, there exists a chain of towns that sprang up in response to the gold mining rush of several decades ago. One of them is Nevada County. From a small mining camp, it has transformed over the years to a historic town that boasts of fine architecture and place of prominence in the nation’s history. I decided to do a spotlight on some of the several tourist attractions in Nevada County as a tribute to its history.
- Boreal Mountain Resort. Located in Soda Springs, near Lake Tahoe, this is a ski area that is renowned for skiing and snowboarding activities in Northern California. It boasts of a high speed mid mountain chair and a terrain park for group skiers and snowboarders.
- Nevada Theatre. This is arguably California’s oldest existing theatre, featuring production and performances from many local groups over the years. The theatre is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Donner Lake. Although it is not as big or popular as the neighboring Lake Tahoe, Donner Lake is still much loved by the county’s residents. A great fishing spot for trout and salmon, the lake also serves for recreation activities like boating, water skiing, windsurfing and snowshoeing.
- Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Area. This is a skiing area owned by several large home owners in the region and is very popular with tourists from all over the country. It also boasts of a private beach club and marina, equestrian center, golf course, and a recreation center.
- Holbrooke Hotel. The Holbrooke is a journey into the past, with Edwardian architecture and designing. Originally built in the 1870s, it is also a California Historical Landmark as it has been in continuous operation ever since construction.
- Royal Gorge Cross Country Ski Resort. This is another one of the ski areas that make Nevada County the darling of skiing in the country. The Royal Gorge features about 65 trails and 121 miles of skiable terrain. There are also fanciful accommodations and dining options available on site.
- Donner Memorial State Park. This is a California park that preserves the site of the last stand of the Donner Camp of the doomed Donner Party in 1847. It has hiking trails, campgrounds, and a breathtaking lake frontage.
- Empire Mine State Historic Park. This is one of the oldest, largest and richest gold mines in California, reputed to produce over 5.8 million ounces of gold in over 100 years of operations. It is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park. Established in 91965, the park is reputed to preserve the largest hydraulic mining site in California.it has several miles of hiking trails around the mining pit that are open to visitors.
This piece was written by Elijah Aizenberg. You can contact him for more information and enquiries on other tourist attractions in Nevada County by writing to 13089 Thistle loop, Penn Valley, CA 95946.